If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (937) 228-3433

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

5 Most Common Causes of an Electrical Fire: What to Look Out For

3/28/2022 (Permalink)

electrical fire caused by faulty wiring in a Dayton home. Contact the professionals at SERVPRO when your property suffers from an electrical fire.

Did you know that electrical fires are one of the leading causes of property damage in the United States?

On average, electrical fires account for more than $1.5 billion in damages each year. That's why it's essential to be aware of the five most common causes of electrical fires, so you can take steps to prevent them from happening in your home or office.

Like most people, you probably don't think about electrical fires until it's too late. And by then, it's often too late to do anything about them. This blog post will look at the five most common causes of electrical fires and what you can do to prevent them.

We'll also discuss why calling SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek for fire restoration services is the best decision you can make if your Dayton property suffers an electrical fire.

What is an Electrical Fire

An electrical fire is a type of fire that may cause severe property damage. Electrical fires can occur in any building, including homes and office buildings, and at any time. The professionals at SERVPRO have seen homes wholly burned to the ground from electrical fires. To truly understand electrical fires, it is essential to know their causes.

The five leading causes of electrical fires

According to our list of fire restoration call data, there are five leading causes of electrical fires in homes:

  1. Overloaded circuits
  2. Faulty wiring
  3. Using ungrounded outlets
  4. Defective appliances
  5. Improper use of extension cords

Overloaded circuits

Overloaded circuits are one of the most common causes of electrical fires. When too many appliances or devices are plugged into a single outlet, it can cause an overload that may lead to a fire. It would be best to use surge protectors for all your electronics to prevent this from happening and never plug more than two devices into a single outlet.

Faulty wiring

Faulty wiring is another leading cause of electrical fires. Homes over 30 years old are especially at risk, as they may have outdated or damaged wiring. If you live in an older home, it's essential to have your wiring checked by a licensed electrician.

Using ungrounded outlets

Ungrounded outlets are another common cause of electrical fires. These outlets are not properly grounded and can cause an electrical fire. Always use grounded outlets when plugging in appliances or devices to prevent this from happening.

Defective appliances

Defective appliances are another leading cause of electrical fires. If an appliance is not working correctly, it can overheat and start a fire. To prevent this from happening, always check your appliances for signs of wear and tear, and never use them if they seem defective.

Improper use of extension cords

Extension cords are standard in many homes and offices, but they can also be a fire hazard if misused. If you must use an extension cord, make sure it pairs appropriately with the appliance or device. Also, never use more than one extension cord per outlet, and always unplug them when you're not using them.

Handling an electrical fire

When you have an electrical fire, it's essential to handle it promptly and safely. If possible, the first thing you should do is unplug all appliances and devices from the outlet. Then, call your local fire department. Once the fire is out, you'll need to call a professional fire restoration company like SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek to assess the damage and begin the restoration process.

Why Choose SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek?

SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek is a professional fire restoration company with years of experience restoring properties that electrical fires have damaged. We understand the unique challenges of fire damage, and we have the knowledge and expertise to get your property back to its pre-fire condition.

We're also a locally owned and operated company, so we're familiar with the Dayton area and local homeowners and businesses owners. We're here to help you recover from an electrical fire, and we'll work diligently to restore your property to its pre-fire condition.

Please get in touch with us today to learn more about our fire restoration services and how we can help you combat an electrical fire.

Other News

View Recent Posts