SERVPRO Moisture Meters (Pin vs Pinless)
Pin Moisture Meter in-use
When water damage hits our customer's home or business they know that visually see water, but what many are not aware of how our team detects whether or not the drying process is complete. SERVPRO of Dayton/Beavercreek has invested in different types of moisture meters to know when the building is dry. There are two types of meters that we use, pin and pinless.
First off a pin moisture meter is more accurate, but also destructive because it requires the physical insertion of the two-pin probes into the wall or material in question.
The other type is a pinless meter. This meter has a flat sensor integrated on the back of it and is a non-invasive method. The main catch with this meter is that it only provides a relative moisture reading unlink the pin meters.
Although a pin meter is more accurate you can guarantee that both pin and pinless meters will be in our teams SERVPRO tool bags. Our IICRC water damage professionals know what meter will be most useful in each water damage situation.
Why do SERVPRO professionals wear PPE’s?
First, let's start with the question, what does the PPE acronym stand for?
SERVPRO of East Dayton / Beavercreek takes wearing PPE’s very serious when dealing with any mold, sewage water, and whenever something may be potentially harmful in the air. Personal protective equipment is a jumpsuit that is completely enclosed so that nothing harmful can enter and get in contact with the human body. They are engineered and designed to be breathable and durable, making them more comfortable and safer than ever before.
They also include a scientifically engineered mask to make sure any unwanted particles stay out of the user's lungs.
Here at SERVPRO of East Dayton / Beavercreek we truly believe that wearing protective equipment is imperative. We pride ourselves in taking care of the safety of our staff a priority. Each month we have scheduled meetings to make sure that all staffs PPE's are in working condition and ready to go. Protective gear is not an option and will continue to be in each of our professionals' tool bags.
What are the different categories of water damage in Dayton Ohio?
SERVPRO Category 2 Water Damage
According to the IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification), there are three different levels and classes of water damage.
Category 1 – Clean Water
Water damage from a category 1 classification is from clean and sanitary sources–water lines, faucets, toilet tanks, drinking fountains, etc. Although this water is clean, it does not come without risks. If it is not cleaned and dried quickly, it can degrade into category 2–leading to health issues to the people inhabiting the structure.
Category 2 – Grey Water
Water damage from a category 2 classification is from sources that have a level of contaminants that may cause illness or discomfort if ingested. These sources include dishwashers, washing machines, toilet overflow with urine.
Category 3 – Unsanitary
Water damage from a category 3 classification contains dangerously unsanitary contaminants. It could cause serious illness or even death if ingested. Category 3 water damage includes water from a sewer backup, flooding from rivers or streams, toilet overflow with feces, and stagnant water that has become a habitat for bacterial growth.
FYI: Each level and classification carry different levels of risk and must be cleaned differently. Our SERVPRO professionals will let you know what kind of water damage your home or business has encountered and the cleaning process.
How many different species of Mold are there?
According to the CDC, no one truly knows how many different types of mold that is out there but it is possible to be over 300,000. Although we do not know all the types of molds we are aware of the four most common molds that get mold remediation.
Most common Molds found in Ohio:
- Cladosporium- Black and green in color, this mold has a pepper-like appearance and can be found on surfaces like toilets, fiberglass ducts, fabrics, and wood. Although it is not toxic, it can cause irritation and allergy-like symptoms, such as watery eyes, sore throats, or respiratory problems.
- Penicillium- Typically blue or green, this mold can easily be transferred from room to room, and it is common on wallpaper and textiles like carpets, mattresses, or curtains. It can cause allergic reactions, sinus infections, and lung inflammation.
- Chaetomium – Often found in buildings that have suffered extensive water damage Chaetomium produces a musty odor and is dark green, brown, or black in color. Although it rarely causes health issues in humans, it can be an indication of more serious mold problems.
- Aspergillus- This mold can often be found in air duct systems and on foods high in starch, such as bread and potatoes. The most common species feature a yellow-green surface coloring, with brown underneath, and they can cause allergic reactions, repository infections, and inflammation of the lungs.
Restoring Your Beavercreek Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at Beavercreek commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek
SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Beavercreek Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 937-228-3433
Beavercreek Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 937-228-3433
Beavercreek Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Beavercreek basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - 937-228-3433
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 937-228-3433