If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (937) 228-3433

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Ensure Fire Safety this Summer in Your Home

4/13/2020 (Permalink)

lit candles Candles have caused thousands of home-related fires in the US.

Just the thought of going through a fire is terrifying to most families. Loss of life and property are possible outcomes of fire, and dealing with the aftermath can be very confusing and overwhelming. There are over 300,000 house fires a year in the U.S., and unfortunately, most of these home fires can be prevented by simple things. The professionals here at SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek are here to help you avoid this kind of disaster from happening to your home. Here are some ways to keep your home fire safe for the summer.

First, Be Mindful of Candles 

Candles can be so lovely to smell and look at, but it’s easy to forget it’s still a dangerous open flame within your home. Candles have caused tens of thousands of home-related fires and deaths over the past few years alone. Most home fire damages are caused by leaving flammable items too close to the candle or by falling asleep with candles lit. 

To prevent a possible candle fire, you should: 

  •   Blow candles out before you go to sleep or when you leave the area 
  •   Keep candles at least one foot away from flammable sources 
  •   Use candle holders that cannot be tipped or knocked over easily 

A few small actions can go a long way when it comes to preventing drastic smoke and fire damage within your home. 

Second, Cell Phone Charging and Overheating

Have you ever gone to sleep with your phone on the charger overnight and tucked somewhere in your bed, under a blanket, or even worse, under your pillow? Leaving a phone to charge is much more dangerous than you might have thought. If you notice when charging your phone, it will typically get warm, and in some cases, when the phone is covered overnight and in combination with a faulty battery, the trapped heat can cause the phone to explode right next to you. Not only can this itself cause extensive damage, but it can also start a house fire that can quickly escalate. 

If your phone ever feels like it’s overheating on the charger, you should unplug it and turn it off right away until it cools down before using it or attempting to charge it again. 

Third, Fix Your Fire Alarms 

Too many homes often forget about or neglect their fire and smoke detection systems. Not having a well-functioning fire alarm system could make the difference in loss of life and property in the event of a fire. In the event of a fire after alerting authorities and safely evacuating the area, your next step should be to contact a local fire and smoke damage restoration company. The professionals here at SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek are specially trained in fire damage restoration and can help in the recovery process after a fire occurs. 


There are many ways to keep your home safe during the year from accidental fires. Check out some of our other blog posts about fire safety to learn more, and in the event of an emergency, give SERVPRO  a call anytime at (937) 228-3433. Our IICRC trained professionals are here to help you 24/7.

Other News

View Recent Posts