3 Vital Reasons Why You Need a Professional Sewer Restoration Company To Cleanup a Sewer Backup
The professionals at SERVPRO know that sewer water "category 3 water" contains microbes such as bacteria and other pathogens. Countless times we have heard about poorly mitigated sewage water causing severe illnesses. It is best for sewer backup restoration to occur immediately to prevent further damages.
This post will go over three things that sewer backup restoration professionals look for during a category 3 water loss.
Mishandling a Category 3 water damage can be costly and potentially hazardous. Sewage restoration needs to be taken seriously by all involved parties. It may be overwhelming at first, but working with the right sewer backup restoration company will make the process less stressful.
Before we get started, please note that we do not recommend you do sewer restoration yourself. Please leave it to a category 3 water professional!
Why Choose SERVPRO For Sewer Restoration
You will want to hire SERVPRO for the property damage because they are qualified to perform sewer damage cleanup. All of the SERVPRO heroes have been trained and follow the IICRC S500 Standard of Care for category 3 water damage restoration. Category 3 water is “grossly contaminated and may contain pathogenic, toxigenic or other harmful agents” (IICRC S500).
The variables involved in sewer restoration create additional challenges in the cleanup process. The typical general contractors, handymen, and plumbers are not trained on sewage restoration processes.
3 Vital Reasons To Hire A Professional Sewer Restoration Company
1) Sewer Restoration Professionals Will Find the Cause
As soon as the emergency plumbing restoration professionals arrive on-site, they will begin to investigate the cause of the loss. The professionals at SERVPRO have seen the common cause of a category 3 water loss to be a faulty piping connection to your home. Having the guidance of an emergency plumbing restoration company by your side will be helpful.
2) Sewer Restoration Professionals Disinfect the Right Way
It is common to see category 3 water to contain urine and feces. An emergency plumbing restoration professional will prioritize avoiding cross-contamination during the sewer backup restoration process to prevent illness from toxic biohazards.
3) Sewer Restoration Professionals Prevent Mold
Category 3 water paired with humidity makes an excellent breeding ground for mold growth. There is nothing worse than pairing a sewer restoration job with mold damage. A professional sewage restoration company will ensure that the area is dried correctly, well ventilated, and treated with antimicrobial to prevent future mold growth.
Outside of a professional emergency plumbing restoration company knowing how to find the cause, properly disinfect, and prevent mold, they also know what steps need to occur to keep all parties involved safe.
Sewer Restoration Cleaning Steps
- Wear PPE - Wearing a full PPE suit is essential when dealing with category 3 water. Waterproof gloves and rubber boots will ensure that the sewage does not spread and does not come in direct contact with the sewer restoration professional.
- Bag Damaged Materials – It is best practice to start by removing all wet carpet and padding to be disposed of appropriately. You will see the sewer restoration professionals use bags to pack up all porous materials such as clothes, cardboard, and books. Porous materials that have been in contact with category 3 water are not salvageable.
- Remove Salvageable Items – Salvageable items include plastic items, dishes, toys, and glass furniture. All salvageable items should be removed and taken to an offsite location for cleaning.
- Use Ciontaminate Barriers – It is essential to prevent the spread of sewage to places that have not been affected by category 3 water. Sewer restoration professionals will use containment barriers to contain the areas that have been affected.
- Start the Cleanup – After removing all the salvageable and non- salvageable items, the water-extracting process can occur.
- Dry The Damaged Area – The sewer restoration professionals will use dehumidifiers and fans to remove all the water particles in the air. In some cases, it is a good idea to open your home's windows to allow fresh air to help with the smell.
As you have learned today, hiring a professional sewer restoration company to do the cleanup will help you rest easy, knowing that the category 3 water cleanup will mitigate all sewage dirt from your home. Sewage restoration professionals have the proper equipment to dry and prevent mold growth. Only the highest quality of antimicrobial products will keep your home safe from fungi, parasites, pathogens, and bacteria caused by category 3 water.
SERVPRO of East Dayton/Beavercreek performs sewer restoration services throughout Ohio in the greater Dayton, Xenia, Beavercreek, Riverside, and Spring Valley regions. We are available 24/7 for emergency sewer backup restoration.