5 Ways To Prevent Shower Black Mold in Dayton Apartments
Shower Black Mold
Property managers in Dayton Ohio know how scary it is when they find out that there is a mold problem in their complex. We want our local property managers to be prepared on who to call when mold is found in their building. We also like to educate our Dayton locals to know how to prevent black mold from growing in their shower.
Ohio Mold Remediation
Ohio isn't known to have a severe mold issue, but it is still prevalent. Most mold issues in the homes that we respond to are from when a homeowner has water damage that had not been appropriately mitigated. Mold is relevant in places that have a humid climate. The reason that mold likes a humid environment is due to the fact that mold reproduces when there's moisture in the air.
Five steps to prevent black mold in a shower
- Good ventilation. Many people like to take really hot showers that produce a lot of steam. To avoid mold growth while taking a shower, it is best practice to open a bathroom window. Another suitable method to prevent moisture in the air is to leave a shower exhaust fan on while showering and 30 minutes afterward. Lastly, and if only possible, we suggest leaving the bathroom door open to allow better circulation throughout the bathroom.
- Remove hair in the shower drain. Cellulose materials like soap scum, body hairs, and oils can be a breeding ground for black mold. We believe that it is best practice to keep your drains open and clear so that mold can not feed. Having clear pipes also prevents future water damages. There are many chemicals in the market that keep the drain clean. We suggest cleaning out a shower drain once a week if the solution that you use allows.
- Invest in an antimicrobial. An antimicrobial is an agent that kills and stops the growth of microorganisms. We suggest that you spray down your shower once a week to kill any new mold spores trying to grow.
- Deep clean once every two weeks. At a bare minimum, your shower needs to be clean every two weeks. If time prevails, we suggest that you do it weekly. Please don't forget that a shower deep clean includes whipping down the shampoo bottles.
- Avoid unnecessary materials. We have come into many homes that use a shower mat to avoid slipping. SERVPRO cares about the safety and health of our customers. We suggest that if a customer can remove any mat from their bathroom shower; it will help from mold growing underneath the mat. Bathroom mats are a mold magnet.
Call SERVPRO East Dayton/Beavercreek if the above prevention tips do not work. We want our Dayton residents to be free of mold growth throughout their home. Mold spores can grow anywhere and can navigate in the air affecting other surfaces and parts of the house. We are available 24/7 and have trained technicians that are willing to help.
For more information about Dayton.